January 17, 2013
Need Ideas for No Name-Calling Week?
No Name-Calling Week is rapidly approaching! No Name-Calling Week is an annual week of educational activities aimed at ending name-calling of all kinds and providing schools with the tools and inspiration to launch an on-going dialogue about ways to eliminate bullying in their communities. Here are some ways you can celebrate!
- Conduct a school wide Name-Calling survey.
- Review the No Name-Calling Week Planning Guide
- Use Twitter and Facebook to spread the word #wordscanhurt
- Conduct NNCW lessons
- Read excerpts from “The Misfits” by James Howe and hold a group discussion.
- Develop a classroom no name-calling policy
- Create a school wide display and enter it into our Creative Expressions Contest.
- Show GLSEN’s Think B4 You Speak PSA and hold a discussion about the phrase “That’s So Gay”
- Discuss sportsmanship in physical education classes with the Changing the Game resources.
- Wear a No Name-Calling Week Sticker.
- Hold an school wide assembly on name-calling and bullying
- Dedicate a class to an art themed anti-bullying lesson plan
- Hold an essay contest “How Name Calling Makes Me Feel.”
- Display No Name-Calling Week Posters in all classrooms and around building.
- Send home our Tip Sheet for Parents.
We would love to hear what you have planned; click here to let us know what you are doing to celebrate No Name-Calling Week.