The Day of Silence is coming up quickly! Each week we will posting helpful organizing tips to help you plan and coordinate your Day of Silence activities.
Week 6 (March 8-12): Getting Started
We recommend you start planning for your Day of Silence at least six weeks before the event if you haven’t already. For this week focus on laying the groundwork for your organizing.
- Register: Go to www.dayofsilence.org and register your participation in the Day of Silence. If you're already registered, make sure to update your address on www.studentorganizing.org so we
- Gather Information: Find resources to help you start your planning on www.dayofsilence.org.
- Find Support: Discuss your participation with the advisor of your GSA or student club, or another trusted faculty member. It’s a good idea to print out resources from www.dayofsilence.org to give to potential supportive faculty.
- Get Permission: Your Day of Silence is likely to be more successful if the school approves of your activities. Research and follow the proper protocol for approving an activity at your school. Ask your supportive staff member to help.
- Build a Team: Find peers who want to contribute. Talk to members of your GSA and/or other allies. Tell them about the Day of Silence and ask if they would be interested in getting involved. Make sure to check out the resources about building coalitions at www.dayofsilence.org.
- Schedule for next week: Make sure to schedule a Team meeting with your supportive faculty member and interested students for the upcoming week to keep making progress!
If you have any questions or ideas, or if you want to tell us what you’re planning for your Day of Silence please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Best of luck, and happy organizing!